A little bit of history about the cafe…

The Crooked Chimneys of The Old Swan

The original building was mentioned in 1676 as being one of the two inns in Rhayader at that date. Some changes were made in 1683, including the rebuilding of the three chimney stacks, and this date is carved into the old timbers inside the building. Nowadays the Swan Tea Rooms occupy the ground floor of the building. There is a gargoyle above the large window and to the left of the frame is the date 1683, this was originally the porch of the Old Swan Inn.

 

IMG_0924